Tuesday, September 24, 2019

Morning Session #2, "Wild Berry Farm"

I've written a few songs that were inspired by people I know from their books.  This is one of those songs.

Wendell Berry is an admirable man.  He is an artist, a farmer, an active citizen of the place he lives.  One might say that the place he lives is Kentucky, and he seems very focused on Kentucky in his writing but he really lives, like all of us, on Earth.  I highly recommend any of his writing, though I really do appreciate his non fiction.  My favorite book is, "The Art of the Common Place"

I like this song for playing at the Farmer's Markets and wrote it with that intent.  I've had the great opportunity to play along with a fiddle player, and think a mandolin, upright bass, and a harmonica could all be great fun.

Like some of the songs I've written with playing them at markets in mind, I think it sounds like a song that's been around a while.  It's got a simple, common sounding structure.  Hey if it works!




 Wild Berry Farm (a song for Wendall Berry)
(R. A. Maldonado)
I know a farm, way down in Kentucky,
The farm where the wild Berry grows,
If you know it too you can count yourself lucky
The farm where the wild Berry grows,
Down on the farm, they will do no harm
the farm where the wild Berry grows
The fields are full of beauty and the house is full of charm
The people are happy and it shows

I know a farm where a man does his work
the farm where the wild Berry grows
it's a thing you gotta love, not something that you shirk
The farmer reaps what he sows
I know a farm where horses pull the plow
the farm where the wild Berry grows
You can hear a hawks cry, you can hear a cow sigh
You can hear the jays chasing crows

I know a farm, it's the fine place to live
the farm where the wild Berry grows
If you give more than take, you'll love the life you make
on the farm's where living well shows
work all day, you can rest all night
the farm where the wild Berry grows
you can read a book or think of one to write
at night by the lanterns glow

I know a farm way down in Kentucky
the farm where the wild Berry grows
That farmer wrote some books, so we're all lucky
We can read what that farmer knows
Life on the farm, you could call it common
the farm where the wild Berry grows
But the human race, needs the art of common place
That's what the farmer knows 

Now, You know a farm way down in kentucky
the farm where the wild Berry grows
get your own place, live your life with grace
Like the farm where the wild Berry grows

I know a farm way down in Kentucky

The farm where the wild Berry grows……

No comments:

Post a Comment

 Well things have come a little ways from where they were.  I am now using the studio for my daily sessions, but still doing construction wo...