Wednesday, July 17, 2019

"I'm always the fan of a prologue"

ON SONGWITING
     In a recent interview of Ethan Hawke on his film "Blaze", about singer songwriter Blaze Foley, Ethan was describing his director choice for the opening of the movie.  He said that he was always the fan of a prologue, something that set the mood for what was yet to come and a perspective from which to view the story.
     In my path down the road of songwriting, I have often wondered about what is taught as song structure.  Most of the formula that is taught is not what I do.  But what I do makes sense to me.  Often times, very often, I begin a song with what will be the chorus later in the song.  That's not what "they" teach in songwriting.
     Hearing this interview with Ethan rang the bell of recognition for me.  Putting the chorus at the tope of a song gives place, time, and texture to the story that follows.  After the often repeated chorus sets the mood the song, the verses go on to explain, even justify it.
     Thanks Ethan Hawke for helping me understand what it is I'm doing, a bit better.
Ethan Hawke on KEXP doing the promo tour for his film "Blaze" (via youtube)

No comments:

Post a Comment

 Well things have come a little ways from where they were.  I am now using the studio for my daily sessions, but still doing construction wo...