Wednesday, September 4, 2019

Fiddling about

Had my first fiddle lesson today.  I've never been one for appreciating one on one lessons in music, but I have learned to admit how helpful they are.  My reluctance in the past has been over embarrassment about my lack of knowledge, and ability with some basic parts of music.  Growing older has allowed me to accept how bad I am at something with out getting bent out of shape about it.  This in turn allows me to really see a path to improvement.
A particular challenge about trying to learn new instruments at my age is that my body is not really cooperative, and my artistic judgement is high after a lifetime of listening.  So I end up knowing what I want to hear, but also knowing that I am not creating the sounds I want.
Still, it is great fun to think that someday, I will be better than I am now, maybe even be able to play at a level that makes me happy.  This was what happened with playing piano, guitar, singing, and then  even with writing songs, and producing recordings.
I just got to remember that we say "playing" music.  The play part is important, the hard work should be fun, should be play.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 Well things have come a little ways from where they were.  I am now using the studio for my daily sessions, but still doing construction wo...