Tuesday, October 30, 2018

Recording session

Today the studio had a guest doing a recording session.  It was good fun and a chance to be just an engineer, or tech person/producer, and not the one at the "sharp end of the mic"
the homely mic set up.  looks ugly, silly, but works well.

The take away is that the BSMS is a comfortable place to make music, and record it, which I already understood to be true for me, but now it's affirmed by another person.

Again the most impressive thing for me is the amount of technology that is available to most of us, and how affordable it is.  The microphone and a set of headphones are, literally, the only thing is this set up that had an out of pocket expense.  The computer was a gift/reclaimed from another persons upgrading their system, and graciously offering it to our household.  The software came with the computer, thanks APPLE/Mac.

I recently got two great chairs/stools, wood and leather, from the side of the road.  They are comfortable, not bad looking and great for music sessions.

I haven't tried recording the drum set that I found being thrown in a neighbors trash, but I'm about ready to try adding a percussion track to some of my other pieces.  Looking forward to figuring out the best way to record a drum kit with the equipment I have already.

The next big expenditure for the studio is going to be a splitter, or Y adapter for a mini stereo connection so the artist recording can listen, as well as the engineer.  I just found a 5 way splitter for
$12 at BestBuy.  Have to check with accounting to see if we can get it. 😉

No comments:

Post a Comment

 Well things have come a little ways from where they were.  I am now using the studio for my daily sessions, but still doing construction wo...